The Little Bear’s team are thrilled to confirm that both Little Bear’s on Wanstead Green and in Elephant Central have been the recipient of a Millie’s Mark Award.
The Millie’s Mark award is a special endorsement to childcare providers that go above and beyond for child safety. Key requirements include having 100% of staff trained in paediatric first aid, and also ensuring that everything learned during the course is kept alive and in the forefront of the nursery team’s minds.
The Millie’s Mark accreditation provides reassurance for parents that all of the Little Bear’s team know what to do in a paediatric first aid situation. It also acknowledges that children’s safety is at the heart of what we do.
As part of the accreditation process the Little Bear’s team were required to evidence a number of working practices and procedures. Some of these include:
- Having a lone working policy in place.
- Staff to be trained in Baby led weaning and sharing this policy with staff and parents
- Audit completed on a regular basis to monitor staff confidence
- Food for messy play policy in place, to be shared with staff and parents
- First aid box checks completed every month
- Basic first aid guide to be shared with all new staff, during recruitment process
- What to do in an emergency displayed around the nursery for visitors, parents and staff
We are delighted to have completed a programme of assessment, reflection and implementation of an enhanced code of practice, to be awarded the commendation of Millies Mark. One of our new initiatives is baby led weaning, which we would be delighted to discuss further with all our parents, as well as stringent safety checks which still allow our little ones to explore materials and their surroundings safely.
Shona O’Neill, Founder of Little Bear’s Nursery